Located on the Atlantic coast of the Poitou Charente region, in the heart of the town of Châtelaillon-Plage, "Le Village Corsaire des 2 Plages" is very close to La Rochelle, the Isle of Ré, The Isle of Aix, Fort Boyard, the Isle of Oléron, the Poitevin marshes (the French Green Venice) and the famous towns of Rochefort and Saintes.
I.e. a multitude of places to visit if, by bad luck, the weather is not perfect for the beach and shell-fishing.
Fish and seafood: shellfish, mussels and oysters that you can gather at low tide and enjoy fresh out of the water.
The generous nature of the region, butter and dairy products, the vines of Cognac and Pineau, are the renown and fame of this large and beautiful region.
Charente Maritime with its 6,864 km² is the leading French department for the production of oysters and mussels and for the number of Roman churches.
The diversity of its countryside, the Ocean and its islands, make for the decor of your dreams.
To the west, THE PAYS ROCHELAIS with LA ROCHELLE ancient fortified town founded in the tenth century on a rocky platform in the middle of the marshes, has become a very important port since the twelfth century. It was granted a charter by Aliénor d'Aquitaine in 1199.
Later on, its importance, fleet, walls and Protestant ideas started to bother the royal powers. Towards the end of 1627, the king Louis XIII and Richelieu laid siege to La Rochelle, which was forced to surrender after thirteen months.
It wasn’t until the 18th century that this strong place of roads and arcades recovered its importance, with the departure of shiploads of pioneers to the New World, the sugar of the Antilles and the furs of Canada.
The revolution and the wars of the Empire once again put the town to sleep only to awaken with the creation of the deep water port of La Pallice at the end of the 19th century.
La Rochelle is now a famous fishing port (8th commercial port in France) and an international pleasure port with more than 3500 boats. IT is also the starting point for the bridge to the Ile of Ré constructed in 1988.
This town of more than 70,000 inhabitants is home to numerous museums and a university centre. At the end of December 2000, the largest private aquarium in Europe opened in a dream setting.